VEGAN BREAD WITH POPPY SEEDS
The dough before rising.
The dough after rising.
Knead the dough to get rid of the air bubbles.
Cut the dough in half, and cut each half into 3 pieces. Make two braids out of the 6 pieces.
Breads after rising.
Brush with a mixture of agave syrup and unsweetened soy milk and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
Pop it into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes..
BRAIDED WHEAT BREAD WITH POPPY SEEDS
Write a review
1 hr 20 min
1 hr 20 min
- 2 sachets (14 g) dry active yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) lukewarm water
- 1 cup (250 ml) lukewarm unsweetened soy milk
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil + 2 tsp for greasing baking bowl
- 5 cups (12-13 dl) wheat flour
- Unsweetened soy milk and agave syrup for brushing
- Poppy seeds
- Have the yeast, sugar, salt, water and the soy milk in a large baking bowl. Mix and let it stand for about 5 minutes until a foam is made on top.
- Add 2 cups of the flour and mix well.
- Continue adding the flour, 1/2 cup at the time. Work the dough in between.
- When all of the flour is incorporated, but the dough is still slightly sticky, transfer it to a lightly floured surface and knead it for about 5 minutes.
- Grease the inside of the baking bowl with a little bit of vegetable oil and put the dough into the bowl. Turn the dough around to grease all of the sides. Cover and let it rise for about 1 hour (until doubled in size) in a warm place.
- When the dough is doubled in size you knead it to get rid of the air bubbles. Then cut it in half, and each half into 3 pieces. You now have six pieces. Make two bread braids and put them on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cover and let the breads rise for about 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 430 F (220 C) while the breads are rising.
- Mix 1 tbsp agavesyrup with 4 tbsp unsweetened soy milk. Brush the loafs with the mixture. Sprinkle a good amount of poppy seeds over the braids and pop it in the oven. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the breads have a nice golden colour. Let the breads cool down on a rack for 15 minutes before slicing it.
- The agave syrup gives the bread a nice golden colour, but if you don't have it just brush it with soy milk.