TOM KHA TOFU
Make the curry paste in a food processor or blender.
Stir fry the curry paste for a couple of minutes, add the coconut milk and vegetable broth and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add the broccoli and tofu and simmer until the broccoli is cooked through.
Vegan Tom Kha Tofu.
TOM KHA TOFU
Write a review
For the curry paste
- 1 large shallot, quartered
- 1 stem lemongrass
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 inch piece ginger, quartered
- 1 red chili
- 1-2 kaffir lime leaves
- Juice and zest of one lime
- One bunch of cilantro leaves
For the soup
- 1 can (14 oz, 400 ml) good quality full fat coconut milk
- 2 cups (500 ml) vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce or mushroom flavoured soy sauce
- 16 ounces (450 g) any kind of firm tofu, cubed
- 1 broccoli, cut into florets
- 5-6 ounces dry rice noodles, soaked in boiling water for 5 minutes
- Have all of the ingredients listed under curry paste, except for kaffir lime leaves and cilantro, in a food processor or blender. Process for a minute or so until you have a thick paste. Add the kaffir lime leaves and cilantro and process for one more minute. Your curry paste is now ready.
- Heat some vegetable oil in a casserole or a wok pan on medium to high heat. Add the curry paste and stir fry for a couple of minutes. Make sure the paste does not burn.
- Add the can of coconut milk and the vegetable broth. Stir and let it simmer for about 10 minutes on medium to low heat.
- Now add the tofu and broccoli florets and simmer until the broccoli is cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile the soup is getting ready you can soak the rice noodles in 4 cups of boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain and let the noodles run under cold water to prevent it from sticking and to stop the cooking process.
- For serving have four soup bowls ready. Distribute the rice noodles evenly among the bowls. Do the same with the soup with tofu and broccoli.
- Garnish with Thai Basil and red bell pepper. Enjoy your Vegan Tom Kha!